Thursday 24 May 2012

Blood Limes

So, it's my last week of work at the farm - I have been working at a small organic and environmentally sustainable farm in Jamberoo, NSW for over a year now - and am just about to step out of the country for a few months to work and travel the US. So, naturally I am trying to gather as many beautiful fresh items I can get my hands on before I leave the farm and cook as many things as I can possibly fit into my small kitchen and fridge. I have been lucky enough to test out some amazing organic fruits and vegetables from the farm aswell as a little meat and eggs. Just wow.

So, this time I have been given some limes that my boss (soon to be ex !!) has been cultivating for some 10-15 years. They are a hybrid mix between a blood mandarin and a native finger lime. Enter - The Blood Lime.

 
The flavour of the lime is as it name states. Citrusy lime with a slightly sweeter finish to it from the blood mandarin. The inside is pulpy like a lime however, it has a cleaner pulp much like the look of caviar. In fact finger limes are said to be a "citrus caviar". Perfect to make a Caprioska or a spot of jam preserve.

I'm excited about the possibilities of this fruit - suggestions on what to make, please! You'll only have a few days to throw some ideas into my kitchen though!


 
Love B  xx

No comments:

Post a Comment